AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Wednesday, August 3, 2016

crazy?

Well, it's been a bit over 2 months now and the numbness in my foot has not changed at all.  However, I have more mobility and strength in my ankle and foot due to continued physical therapy. I just can't say enough good things about my physical therapist and the team that works with me. (A little more on that later)

It became very clear early on that I needed to see a neurologist.  Almost right after my first week of physical therapy, the physical therapist gravely looked at me and frankly told me that my foot was not behaving in any way that was NOT neurological and she recommended a very good neurologist she knew of that she believed would help.  So I made an appointment right away and was seen the following week.

The appointment was encouraging and discouraging.  Unfortunately, (for not the first time in my many years of doctor's office visit experiences), I was questioned more than a few times about my mental state when he saw "Lyme" stamped on my intake form.  But to be honest and thorough and for him to get the whole picture and really figure out what was wrong with my foot, I felt he needed to know everything.  Unfortunately, it led to the majority of the appointment him using phrases like, "have you seen a psychiatrist?" (more than once) and making me feel small.  But, finally, after referring him to my Lyme doctor and trying my best to explain some given Lyme symptoms and how they affect the body, he moved on and did take my foot seriously.

I mean, there really is no way to fake a numb foot - he really tested that out and - you just can't fake numbness.  When needle prick is done and you can't feel it, and other little tests are done, I think they figure out that you aren't there seeking attention for attention's sake.  You're there for help!

Sweet map on my foot

They drew a nice little map of the numb area on my foot and came up with a plan of action - an EMG test to be done in August (this week in fact), blood work to test for just about everything, and continued physical therapy.  I think I counted 17 vials of blood taken at my draw? Yikes!  And then I had to go back the next day for another blood test that took 3 hours and involved 4 more draws.  I'll get the full results and explanations when I go in this week for my EMG test (a test that basically maps your nerves and muscles and their functionality).

All marked up
While over the last two-ish months, nothing has changed in terms of the numbness of my foot or the mobility of my last 3 toes on that foot, I will say that the physical therapist is A.M.A.Z.I.N.G.  She is not only focusing on my foot - she's noticed that years of being sick has made my whole body weak and has gently worked on getting my body back to a place where it can build up stamina and gain energy from gentle exercise.  And through it all, still no seizures.  I started on a recumbent bike for 5 minutes.  Now I'm on a treadmill for 10-15 minutes, not to mention the myriad of other exercises I do.  It's given me confidence to branch out and do light exercises on non-therapy days.

I'm not totally healed from Lyme&Co. yet, but this is huge stuff, guys!  Being able to exercise without completely falling apart is pretty great.  I still get worn out and I still have to parcel out energy for the week, but I can tell I'm getting better and my body is getting stronger.  It's a good thing.

So next thing up for prayer is that darned EMG test this week and the results of my blood work.  Thanks, everyone!

2 comments:

  1. So glad you are getting the support you need and have a great therapist (WOO HOO....exercise). Can't wait to hear what the EMG shows. Always praying for you. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a terrific physical therapist. Sorry to hear that the neurologist took some time to warm up. We're praying for you and that the end shows the doctors just what they need to help you

    ReplyDelete