AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Wednesday, April 22, 2009

on the verge of a headache

For 20 years of my life I remember waking up with a headache and falling asleep with a headache. Some days it would turn into migraines....in fact, 3 out of 7 days it would! I was diagnosed with "childhood migraines" when I was little and it just kept getting worse as I got older. We never could figure out what caused them except that it kind of runs in my dad's side of the family.

In college I saw a neurologist and even got an M.R.I. Nothing of interest showed up thankfully, and I was put on some meds to try to suppress the constant headache. I was on it for about a year and it did HELP but it didn't solve the problem. The side-effects were too much to bear so I went off of them and my doctor indicated if I wanted relief, I'd need to stay on the meds the rest of my life. *sigh* Oh well. So back came the headaches and migraines.

Then, fast-forward to after I had my first baby; I was diagnosed with Celiac disease. I had to cut out wheat and gluten from my diet. After a few months of this lifestyle I realized my headaches weren't as frequent. I certainly didn't wake up with a headache anymore. It was amazing. The only thing to complain about was frequent migraines but it was WAY better than having a constant nagging headache at all moments.

Recently I asked my general practitioner for a refill of my migraine medicine. He said, 'Oh, for my patients I usually put them on a 30 day regimen of this anti-nausea medicine and then they don't get migraines anymore.'

"WHAT!???" It sounded too good to be true. He said occasionally his patients will go back on the medicine after the 30 days but for 10 day stints but for the most part the migraines stay away.

So I started it about 15 days ago. You take it at bed time. I'm so surprised at how well it's worked so far. Most days I feel like I'm ABOUT to get one but it never turns into anything! I haven't had a migraine since I started the nightly meds. I HOPE it stays that way even when I finish the medicine.

As far as my other non-headache-related symptoms -- they seem to be fluctuating. Some days are good, some days are worse. I see my doctor tomorrow. Guess I'll see what happens.

No comments:

Post a Comment