AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Saturday, January 15, 2011

cautious

Did you know that not all most doctors do not believe that chronic Lyme disease is real?  It is such a heartbreak to hear that and to see through other friends stories that it happens all too often.  Nurses will balk at the fact you are taking so many antibiotics and literally walk out of the room in a hmph! And doctors will raise their voice at you and say, "It does not exist!!"  It is the common thought these days in most doctors' offices that Lyme is not real. (You can read about the controversy here)

What a slap in the face to those of us who have it and suffer daily.  It makes me thankful for the doctors who literally have to be so extra careful as they treat patients for Lyme disease in the proper way because they can run into so much trouble with insurance companies, other doctors, etc.  I'm so thankful for my doctor who has already suffered bankruptcy by the hand of an insurance company, and so much more, just because some people don't believe chronic Lyme is real.  It's encouraging to know he truly wants to help those of us who he treats and he will really stop at nothing to make sure we get the care we need that others won't give us.

Anyway, all that to say - a couple days ago I went to try to establish care with a general practitioner.  I just need a doctor for the normal sickness type things.  Like ear infections, colds that turn into bronchitis, etc. My Lyme doctor doesn't deal with that kind of stuff.  But getting a general practitioner for people like me who are already ill with Lyme isn't always easy.  It really is basically an interview -- I am making sure this doctor will take me seriously and that I can trust him to help me when I get "regular" sick without judging me for the controversial illness I have.  But at the same time, you don't want to overwhelm the new doctor with a sort of "I-know-more-than-you" attitude.  It's a fine line.



We all traipsed in there.  Matt pushed me in the wheelchair, I held Liv, and Georgie followed behind.


I was SOOOOOO anxious.


Turns out that this doctor seemed very sympathetic and didn't know much about Lyme at all.  He asked US questions about it and just felt a lot of compassion for me (seeing me in the wheelchair and all and me being so young).  He said he's there for whatever we need in the future and he's glad to keep in touch with my Lyme doctor.


So for now I am cautiously optimistic that this general practitioner is good.  I've met more than a few doctors that I've loved the first time and then from then on have gone down so I can't get too excited yet.  But I am thankful he wasn't outright belligerent about Lyme disease.  That is always a good sign.  Thank you, Lord!!!

3 comments:

  1. That's great news! It's been my experience so far that the doctors that know nothing about Lyme are the BEST to have on your side (in terms of "regular" illness stuff), especially if they're curious and are sympathetic. There's no cockiness of harsh opinions. They genuinely care about your health, and even though they're not well versed in Lyme, that's not their job anyway--it's the Lyme doc's job. How wonderful that he's willing to work with your Lyme doc and will treat you without cynical/unfair judgement. Most GPs are bad, but not all. Sounds like you found a good one. :) Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you may have a great doctor that will be understanding and open minded. Hope you will develop a good relationship with him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's fantastic - I hope he continues to be awesome!

    ReplyDelete