AlternaTickers - Cool, free Web tickers

Friday, July 29, 2011

brainy

I don't struggle too much anymore with brain fog.  I did at one point for a while but I do think that the Lyme treatment has helped with that a lot.  I still hit the fog every once in a while when I'm on meds but for the most part I try to do my best when I am able to keep my brain thinking.  I do this by solving puzzles on my Kindle :)  Now, you don't have to have a Kindle to be able to play these games.  You can have a regular old computer and download Kindle for PC or Mac onto your machine (for free).  And of course you can do old fashion stuff like crossword puzzles, etc. if you don't want to sit in front of a computer.

But what I'm saying is that when I decided to make a conscious effort to exercise my brain a few months ago, I noticed great improvements.  At first it was just maybe a few minutes a day I could handle.  Now some days I can do multiple rounds of 15 minutes stints (with breaks throughout the day).

Here are my favorite brain exercises for the Kindle:

Pixel Perfect Puzzles (and it's $0.00!)

Shuffled Row (also free!)

Every Word (again....FREE)

I guess what I'm saying is that it's so easy when you feel awful to just hole up on the couch (because we don't have much energy for anything else!).  So when I COULD handle some brain stuff, it made me feel like at least I was being somewhat productive even though the rest of my body couldn't physically be productive.

But again, I know the feeling of overwhelming brain fog and during those times it would have been IMPOSSIBLE to attempt any of these games.  If I tried writing a grocery list or typing a short email, words would come out backwards (like I was dyslexic!!), and just trying to remember what I was going to say next was often a problem.  So don't feel bad if your brain is not up to exercising yet.  My body still isn't (at least anything more than a walk through my house or some rebounding on the trampoline)!!! :) 

4 comments:

  1. You amaze me Heather! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you think helped you with brain fog? Mine seems to be getting worse and although I try to use it all day at work, I end up sitting at my office just ondering what I'm doing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Libby - it had to have been the first round of treatment which was Omnicef, Bactrim, Azythromycin, and Flagyl. Because after months of that treatment I suffered less and less with it. But I'll tell you that today I accidentally spelled "price" as "spice" and I told my mom I hadn't been invited to a baby shower that I HAD been invited too. So memory problems. But that heavy fog really got a lot better after my first round of treatment. But that was a few months of those drugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I play a lot of solitaire and scrabble on my phone! i think it helps too, i just can't let myself get mad at myself if im slow. so glad to hear of your improvement!

    ReplyDelete